Travelling after Brexit?

So there you have it, it’s the 31st of January, which can only mean one thing, as of 11pm tonight, we’re officially (somewhat) out of the EU!

So the UK is leaving the EU with an agreed deal in place, which means that in short, nothing will change for travellers until 31st December 2020.

During this transition period very few things will change, but there are a few elements you need to be aware of, including driving licence validity, insurance and customs rules.

Travel Insurance

You should never travel without insurance anyway, but now more than ever you need to make sure that your policy covers healthcare before you travel.

Currently, most travellers carry a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which covers you for free or discounted medical care in all 28 EU countries (plus a few others). Throughout 2020 and the transition period, your EHIC card will still be valid. After this you will not be covered, so you must ensure you have adequate cover for travelling abroad.

Also, worth double-checking, is if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, have a chat with your insurer and check if they cover you for this.


British passports will remain a valid document and those issued before the UK leaves the EU will not automatically need to be replaced.

However on the day of travel, your passport will need to have at lease six months left and be less than 10 years old!

Use the tool to check whether your passport is valid for the country you plan to visit.

Please note – It takes a minimum of 3 weeks to renew your passport.


As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you do not currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. This will not change until the 31st December 2020. An International Driving Permit (IDP) will not be required to drive within the EU, and you do not need a GB sticker or a Green Card for car insurance.

Please note – There are some countries that do require a IDP, check the website to see if you need an IDP before you travel. You need to have a valid Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence to get an IDP.

Data Roaming

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same as in the UK. During the transition period this won’t change.  After December 2020, some UK mobile providers have said they may continue to offer this benefit to customers.

Before you travel, double-check with your provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU. After all, we don’t want you to be slapped with a £100 bill for playing Candy Crush abroad!

General Travel FAQ’s

Whilst we can’t predict what will happen in the next 12 months, we can ensure that we are fully equipped to handle your global business travel and ensure a continuity of service.

Here’s a few of the common questions we get asked!

Q: Will flights still operate?
A: Yes, during the transition period, everything will stay the same until December 2020 and flights will continue as normal.

Q: Will trains from the UK to the EU still operate?
A: Trains from the UK and the EU will operate as normal.

Q: Will I need a visa to travel between the UK and the EU?
A: The EU has agreed to give British citizens visa-free travel to member states, for trips up to 90 days.

Q: When will the rules change?
A: The rules for driving, passports, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may change from 1 January 2021.